[TriLUG] Dell 2400 and Linux

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 20 15:10:59 EST 2002

Robert Wagoner wrote:

> Janyne,
>
> There are several possibilities here, depending on how the setup was
> done.
>
> Do you still have a utility partition?  Run fdisk /dev/sda to make sure
> it still exists.

Yes, in fact when I boot from the Utilities CD and go to create it again
it says one already exists, do I want to update it?

> If you let the Red Hat installer take the entire drive, it would have
> deleted the Dell utility partition.

No, I partitioned it by hand and left the existing partition in place/

> If the utility partition is intact, you may still have a problem if
> it's not flagged bootable in fdisk.

Ah!  Good point.  I'll have to check this out.

> Typical installs flag the /boot partition as the default one to start.
> You can change that,
> but grub and/or lilo trickery may also be needed.

Boo!  OK, this puts me on the right track at least.

> Tell us more about your configuration, and I'll see if I can help.
>
> (Mine is Oracle8i, RH7.2, dual-CPU PowerEdge, happy, happy)

PowerEdge 2400 dual CPU, 1 GB RAM with RH 7.2.  Using the servers to
boot diskless xterms via tftp and then use as a file server.