[TriLUG] creating ext3 partitions on the command line

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Thu Feb 21 16:53:13 EST 2002

> Soooo..... mke2fs -j /dev/hdaX    or whatever.

tune2fs.  Don't mk.  That'll fry the partition.

And try to do it when the partition is unmounted, so a
.journal file isn't left behind visibly.

And update /etc/fstab.

And don't believe the output of `mount`, check /proc/mounts
to find out if something's mounted as 2 or 3.

And consider building a static-linked copy of tune2fs outside
the root partition, and booting the box from a boot disk and
mounting that extra partition and calling that static-link
executable to add journaling to the root partition so it
doesn't get a .journal file.

And don't forget to make an initrd image if you're going
to make your root partition ext3.

-G "only took me 4372764 reboots to get it how I wanted" C