[TriLUG] Debian question

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Feb 22 12:06:22 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 11:03, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:
> Thanks.  That clears up a lot.  I see more clearly that my requirements might
> be in the minority.  I need secure and stable Linux, Like Debian Potato, on
> the cheapest new uATX AMD Duron mainboard with video and LAN built-in.
> (Biostars have been filling the bill so far.)  If I hold my Linux distro
> constant and keep applying it to an ever changing stream of new mainboards as
> time increases, I should expect to uncover incompatibilities from
> time-to-time.

Yes, this does happen. Although it may be fixable by upgrading the
kernel, and not needing a whole new distro. Where is the
incompatibility, and can it be fixed with an up-to-date 2.2.x/2.4.x
stable kernel?

> To succeed, it seems like I need to troll the Debian lists for
> someone/somegroup that can guide me through finding remedies for those
> incompatibilities as they arise.  I may need to get closer to the developers
> than I would using the user's list.

Quite possibly. I understand them to be quite helpful folks, although I
only subscribe to the announces...

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim