[TriLUG] Home installation of Linux

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Feb 22 12:32:04 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 12:15, Jturena at aol.com wrote:
> Uhum...
>  Would anybody be interested in coming out to my house on Sunday afternoon
> and helping me install RedHat 7.0 on my home PC. It is not going well, and I
> do not have enough computer knowledge to install a clean installation in a
> reasonable amount of time---I just got my computer back, and I was hoping to
> get Linux running this first week.

FWIW, part of your problem may be the distro you are using.  Red Hat 7.0
is old, and even when it first came out it was not well accepted by the
Linux community due to many problems it had.  7.2 is the latest Red Hat
release and it is quite good.

>  There is a b-b-q meal in it and some cash if anybody is interested. Wooppee,
> I know.
>  I live in Willow Spring, and can meet in Garner, or Fuquay, to lead the
> person to my house.
> My problem is I am having trouble with the installation on my own.
>  I am using a 1yr old CD boxed set of 7.0 because I do not have another way
> of getting any other version besides purchasing 7.2, or some other brand, and
> I do not know enough about whether that would be a good move, since one of
> the things I like about Linux is the low $ cost.

Do you have a fast Internet connection (i.e. DSL or Cable Modem)?  If so
you can install with just a floppy disk over the Internet.

There are probably some people here geographically in a much better
position to get you started than I am (I'm up kinda near Rougemont and
Bahama).  If you don't get help by the next regular meeting, bring your
box to the meeting with the monitor and everything.  You'll have more
help than you could ever want.