[TriLUG] Debian question

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:46:42 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 09:27:36AM -0500, John Beimler wrote:
> Go and read the whole thing (The joy of an unstable life.)  he covers
> most of the Debian issues.  On my servers, I still run Debian 2.2, but
> on all my other machines I run woody (unstable) and have very few
> issues.  I have installed RedHat 7.2 on my main box at home to learn
> more about RedHat (haven't used it in years) and found that its too much
> of a hassle to update and maintain in comparison to a Debian box.  I may
> put Mandrake on there before reverting to Debian, but overall I am
> really happy with my "unstable" debian boxes.  I usually get the new
> apps at the same time, or before I even see them announced.

I'm in a similar position...potato/woody for production servers, my own
desktops run sid. I'm finding lots of nice things about RH 7.2, though,
and as I bounce stuff off Mike Harris, who maintains the X packages,
I've found RH does have its share of "cool things."

Generally the packages I "care about most" hit auric/incoming within
hours of their upstream update.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc