[TriLUG] TriLUG Frequently Asked Questions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 16:08:51 EST 2002

On Friday 22 February 2002 03:45 pm, you wrote:
> Tanner,
> Thanks so much for taking this on.  I have some
> questions/comments/suggestions for consideration.
u Hurd, etc.").

> [2.6]
>
> >   The function of
> >   the Steering Committee is not to "run the show" or to set policy,
> >   rather the committee tries to bring the members requests to fruition.
>
> For all practical purposes, this is not how things have been run unless
> there has been a clear agreement among the membership at large.  I'm not
> suggesting that the SC has acted improperly, but perhaps the FAQ should
> reflect how the LUG is really run.

I take exception to this...  It is true that the SC does not cow-tow to a
vocal minority, no matter how loud they may yell or how often they may post,
but the users (the majority of them) do set policy.

The only times this differs is when the desires of the group run afowl of the
law or the requirements of our our hosting company.

> >   o  trilug-announce is the low-volume list for the announcement of our
> >      monthly meetings, installfests, and occasional events (such as
> >      booths at local shows).  It is the only list that has not been
> >      converted to use the Mailman list software.
>
> Isn't the steering committee on something else?  Actually IIRC there are
> multiple mailing lists for the SC.  IIRC these include steer@,
> trilug-steer@, and steering@

All of those are aliases for the same list, which is a list run out of
mailman.

> >   3.2.	What is "appropriate content" for each of the TriLUG lists?
> >
> >   The rules for "appropriate content" on the TriLUG lists are simple:
> >
> >   o  Be courteous to others in your postings (no personal attacks on the
> >      list please and no profanity)
>
> Don't mean to incite a riot here but this is counter to what our own SC
> has said recently regarding profanity.

Nope.  Like most folks we do *tolerate* a bit of profanity every now and
then, but we always ask folks not to use profanity on the list.  For one
thing profanity is not necessary, and for another we do have some younger
folks on the list.

BTW: The SC rarely blasts someone directly on the list.  We always try a one
on one message first.

That may be why you think we advocate profanity... Though how you could think
that is beyond me.

Jon