[TriLUG] Membership Dues

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 22:39:59 EST 2002

If you're considering dues, I suggest talking to the TriJUG board - they
have been collection dues for several years, now.  They can tell you how
much work it is (they have a Treasurer), etc.  The yearly rate is $50...
which includes a Java/TriJUG hat.  Alternatively, some people pay the
'guest' fee ($5) at each meeting.  After instituting the membership
fees, there was no visible effect on attendance, AFAIK.

Incidentally, the TriJUG is finacially very strong...partially due to
the membership fees and partially due to the sponsors.

Jon Carnes wrote:

>Dues... If the membership wants them, we have to charge them, but I doubt
>that the majority of members do.  Our expenses are 90% Pizza related.
>Instead of charging dues, I would advocate folks just have a bring your own
>dinner meeting thirty minutes prior to the speaker taking the stage.
>
>We do have funds for one more round of pizza... and Kevin has a lead on some
>possilbe funding.  We will see what the future brings.
>
>As a side note, the complexity on the back-end of our organization rises
>dramatically if we charge dues.  To be legal, we would be compelled to change
>our structure.  We would need a semi-permanent officer in charge of the money
>and the organization would be forced to follow established accounting
>procedures, which means ledger books, internal audits, etc.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com