[TriLUG] OT: Roadrunner routing problems (was "Internet routinginfrastructure problem?")

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Feb 25 13:02:22 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 12:56, Jon Carnes wrote:
> This may or may not be the problem, but it's something I've been dealing
> with for a while now...
>
> The problem may not be on the RR network. The problem may lay in the
> Exchange NOC in NY.  I have seen a lot of this since Sept 11 of last year.
> Some major switches in NY were destroyed, and folks have been routing around
> them for quite a while.  That caused a lot of latency problems.
>
> Then in the middle of January, some functionality was replace through NY,
> and a lot of carriers have sent their routing back through there, but...
> getting traffic though there is touch and go.  Up one minute and then down
> the next.  It's up often enough that the supplemental routes don't kick in,
> but down often enough that you loose connectivity all the time.  It's a
> nightmare to send a VPN thorough it.
>
> Basically the Primary routes through NY seem to be solid, but the internal
> overflow routes really really suck.  To top it off, the monitoring center
> for that NOC is still being rebuilt, so the carriers are working blind.

I can easily believe this. I, too, have been having some problems
(but not amazon) with reaching some detinations.  I used to
be, but am not on RR anymore (DSL is half the price).  A weird one
I had yesterday was that I couldn't resolve www.linuxdoc.org,
but I could resolve www.ibiblio.org (and get to it).  That's
weird because they're the same IP address (but with some differences
in name servers).

BTW, one difference I have noticed between my previous ISP (RoadRunner)
and my current one (BritSys) is that apparently RR is peered with
MCNC meaning it's local connectivity is excellent.  BritSys apprently
isn't since my packets seem to go up to Washington, D.C. before
coming back to local sites.  Still, at half the price, I can live
with that.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989