[TriLUG] sendmail and roadrunner

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 26 08:50:39 EST 2002

Is anyone out there using their primary roadrunner machine (i.e. the one with
the "live" IP address) as a mail relay host?  Most domains accept my mail
just fine but others (xo.com, aol.com most noteably) reject my mail returning
some version of the following error:

... while talking to triton.xo.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<greg at paloverde.nc.rr.com> SIZE=866
<<< 501 5.1.8 <greg at paloverde.nc.rr.com>... Sender domain must exist

I imagine this is due to roadrunner not adding my host name, paloverde, to
DNS when it assigns the IP address.  So, the question becomes is there any
way to fix this so I can mail my partents at their AOL address using my
machine (paloverde) as a mail router?  And, just in case anyone is worried, I
am an avid anti-spammer and I'm not trying to use my machine to spam.

I am running RH 7.1 and I checked the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file but I can't
see anywhere in the file where I can fix this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg