[TriLUG] Fw: Fw: Proposed email charges from the US Postal Service!!

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Feb 26 09:06:23 EST 2002

> Normally, I don't forward messages like this one.

That's a Good Thing (tm).  I believe that about 99.999% of forwarded
"chain" e-mails are completely bogus.

>  But I'm making an exception because I received it from a very reputable
source.

Reputable means nothing in this case.  Even someone who is very reputable
in their own right, can be misled into forwarding
this kind of stuff.   The one thing that I would ask anybody to do, who is
thinking of forwarding something like this, is just
take a few minutes to research it's authenticity.  When I first got e-mail,
I got a few of these things that sounded so real, even
I was tempted to forward them.  Luckily for me, I found
urbanlegends.about.com and www.snopes2.com early on, and I always
researched the ones that I thought *might* be real.  Without fail, each and
every one of them turned out to be a hoax.

I now automatially delete pretty much anything of this nature that shows up
in my in-box, without even reading it. I figure
if something of this nature becomes reality, I'll hear about it from
conventional news sources... ie, it'll be on CNN, Slashot, or
the front page of the local newspaper.

BTW, did you ever wonder what motivates the people who *start* these stupid
chain letters???

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war with
Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

Read Orwell's 1984.  Read a newspaper.  Fear the future.

The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty
is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
- Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin