[TriLUG] Re: making a disk image

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Tue Feb 26 09:36:20 EST 2002

[John F Davis]
> Whoa dd.  That's low level.  I tired using dd to mirror hard disks,
> but if my memory serves me right it required as much disk space as your
> needed to mirror.  This is not a problem if you are going from drive to
> drive, but if you only have disk drive connection and you need to swap
> out the src drive to insert the dest drive you need the disk space for
> the intermediate storage.

could always dd | gzip -c > foo.img.gz then gzip -dc foo.img.gz | dd
Or any of a number of other options *shrug*

Separation of backup method and compression method can be a good thing
(say you wanna switch to bzip2 instead).
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4