[TriLUG] Quick question about time syncing to linux servers

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Feb 27 11:13:51 EST 2002

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 10:31 am, you wrote:
> All,
> I know that there is a command to stick into a cron job to synchronize on
> linux server's time to another's.

rdate.  But it is eeevil.

> My problem is that I have mounted a
> filesystem from our main server onto my local server, and when I do makes,
> gmake is complaining about time skew.  The NFS server is syncing its time
> to a time server on the net, so I don't need to worry about that.  I just
> want to make the time on my box the same as the time on the NFS server.

Awhile back I posted a tutorial to this mailing list on how to set up xntpd.
THAT is the thing you need to do.  xntpd will do a hard timeset when the
system boots up, and then do very gradual adjustments periodically while the
machine is running.  Much more appropriate, IMHO.