OT: "egg on" (was: Re: Linux project (was Re: [TriLUG] making a disk image))

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:23:31 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 12:23, Jon Carnes wrote:
> "Egging on" is to keep someone moving.  In days of yore it was used to keep
> undesirable folks moving on.  You might help them decide to relocate by
> hurling garbage or eggs at them.

This isn't what the OED seems to indicate. But that's just being
-pedantic. The M-W seems to agree with OED.

For whatever reason, the "egg" in "egg on" seems to have the same roots
as the word "edge". Perhaps related to "sharp edge", as in using a blade
to persuade someone.

In an attempt to contribute something Linuxy, let me point you to a new
game demo:
http://www.pyrogon.com/games/candycruncher/cc_linux.php
This is kind of fun, although I really suck at it.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\