[TriLUG] Video card recommendations?

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu Feb 28 12:47:40 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 12:31, Al Koscielny wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 09:27, you wrote:
> > What are you looking for in a card?
> >
> - crisp 2D at high resolutions
> - free software drivers - Must play well with XFree86
> - reasonable price

You might consider a Matrox G450 or an ATI Radeon VE or an ATI Radeon
7000. I *believe* all of these should have good 2D, free software
drivers, and under $70.

As usual, get a second opinion.

> I have an OmniView SE KVM and it definitely affects the video at higher
> resolutions.

On that note...
Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced USB KVM locally? The one
I got from Hawking Technologies died after a year. Video still switches,
USB seems dead. I'm completely off of PS/2 and having to swap keyboards
is frustrating!

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\