[TriLUG] Running a Virtual Network on a Laptop

Scott @ Home scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 15:14:09 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

I'd like to be able to run the client-server software my company is
developing on a standalone laptop system.  I believe the RedHat 7.2
laptop has the resources necessary to run the server and client
applications simultaneously.

I've tried running them with the network disconnected ("ifdown eth0")
and the applications all hang.  I'd hoped that the loopback device (lo)
would be sufficient for them to operate, but apparently there's
something in the network service that becomes unavailable when I do
this...  They'll run but hang as soon as they try to connect to the
server app, which appears to be running fine.

I had someone tell me today that you could bring up a virtual network on
Linux on a standalone machine and fool applications into thinking there
was a running network.  He said you could do this through IP Aliasing.

The client-server applications I'm working with don't care whether their
IP address is different, though.  They just have to be on a networked
system.  I can make them all run on a single node on my LAN at home, for
example.

I'll admit that I don't know all the ins and outs of network
functionality, and that's part of what's holding me back.  Has anyone
set up something like this on a laptop?  Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

Scott Chilcote