[TriLUG] linux on c440gx+

D. McLamb dmclamb68 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 09:39:04 EST 2002

Hi.

Has anyone had the joy of successfully installing linux (any version of any
distribution) on an Intel C440GX+ motherboard?  I have been attempting this
for a while, I have this as a spare system that I intended to setup to
replace my primary linux box server at home.  No joy.

I've read the gotcha info on this system on Redhat's site (referencing 7.1).
  I've also followed several pieces of advice and created the "special" boot
disk that was created specifically for this motherboard. No joy.  I've
attempted the install with the "linux apic" command at the initial boot
prompt. I've flashed every component on the system to the latest version.
I've played with the bios settings.  In every case, Redhat locks up
completely at the "Loading aic7xxx driver". Mandrake locks for a while, then
bypasses the loading of this driver, which means it doesn't detect any mass
storage devices once it gets to the installation phase (the hard drive is a
9G SCSI, no IDE drives in system). I read one newsgroup post in which
someone was able to get Redhat to install once he flashed the system
components and then reset the bios. Tried it. No joy.

I've attempted Redhat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and the new RH beta release that was
posted here a couple of days ago. Same thing. No joy.

Should I just run some other O$ on this box until the next install fest?  If
someone can point me to the magic key, there's a six pack of your favorite
beverage waiting. :)

Also, anyone know where I can purchase a couple of VRM's for this system?

Thanks.

--

Cheers.
D. McLamb