[TriLUG] Want to dual-boot a Windows XP computer?--read on...

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Mar 6 16:27:08 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 14:07, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 16:05, al johson wrote:
> > A new How-To on dual-booting RedHat and Windows XP has been published on
> > LinuxOrbit.com. Authored by John Oates, the document seeks solutions to the
> > problems of the XP master boot record, using GRUB as the bootloader, and the
> > proper order of installation for this dual-boot setup. The How-To is brief,
> > but seems to solve the contentious problems associated with running both
> > ReadHat and WinXP.-
>
> Funny, my new work laptop came with XP, and I didn't have any troubles
> adding linux. Of course,. I had to shrink the XP partition down from 20G
> to 4G, but that's expected.

Same here.

We're dual-booting XP and RH 7.2 on a few systems (all Athlon desktops)
and have had no problems.  RH 7.2 automatically recognized the XP
install and created the GRUB config files.  Very easy...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu