[TriLUG] I'll appreciate your help

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 7 23:44:37 EST 2002

 --- Original Message: Thursday 07 March 2002 06:41 pm ---
> critical shortage of bounce buffers

http://faqchest.dynhost.com/linux/KERNEL/kern-01/kern-0109/kern-010998/kern01092811_17685.html

===
Its in the high mem handling routines. It means the machine stalled for
a moment doing I/O because it had no memory below 1Gb to use.

  > Why does this message appear (apparently during high network
  > load with the intel eepro100 driver or e1000 driver). Is bounce
  > buffers really in use on a x86 machine with 2GB of RAM
  > (normal smp RedHat kernel, not enterprise)??

The answer is yes. You can actually build yourself a custom none bounce
buffer 1.8GB kernel with about 2Gb of user virtual space per app. For some
applications it will perform better.