[TriLUG] power and mount question

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Mon Mar 11 10:11:45 EST 2002

I've created a new kernel, 2.4.16 for my laptop, under RHL 7.2. When I use
the default kernel, 2.4.7-10 from RH, linux powers down my laptop during the
shutdown.  When I use my new kernel, it shuts down everything correctly, but
doesn't not power off the laptop.

Also, I'm getting the message "mount: mount wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on none, or too many file systems mounted". I have / and /boot.

When I do "mount" it shows:
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

I'm not sure what /dev/pts and /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc are. I'm assuming
the last 2 are giving me the errors during boot.