[TriLUG] 1U rack server

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Mar 11 13:48:38 EST 2002

gregbrown at mindspring.com [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:
> I'm looking for a good, 1U rack mounted server with two 10/100 ethernet
> cards, one HD (10ish gig), one CD rom, and LONG mean time between failures,
> which can accept roughly 500 megs of RAM.  I'd prefer to run Red Hat, but I
> can't seem to locate at 1U servers with RH preinstalled.  I currently am only
> searching for one sever but if things go (really) well I could need about
> 2000.  (fiendish grin) Any suggestions on which types of 1U server to
> look at would be greatly appreciated.

I've been pretty happy with Dell servers in the past, and you can get
RH preinstalled, no problem.  Also, they have a $250 rebate going right
now.  Check out:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/model_pedge_pedge_350.htm

Bump the service down to the lowest, take the rebate into account, and
you get one of these babies for $500.  Hard to beat.  It also fits all
of your specs (you didn't mention CPU speed).  Also, if you're gonna
order 2000, they'll be more than happy to a) cut you a deal and b) install
a base image of your choice.

Good luck!

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost