[TriLUG] lesson learned: don't upgrade kernel with rpm -F (or -U)

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Tue Mar 12 16:17:23 EST 2002

[Jeremy P]
> Obviously, all of this is different if you build your own kernel, or if I
> had paid attention to the *proper* way to upgrade the kernel on a Red Hat
> Linux system.  But I thought this message might prove useful in case
> anyone else came across this problem.

fwiw, if you up2date -u, it's smart enough to keep around the old kernel
and call to grubby to add it as a new grub.conf stanza - nothing about
the old kernel is changed or removed.

Also, rpm treats kernel special - you can rpm -ivh a new kernel without
--force'ing - it knows multiple kernel packages isn't a broken thing.

I'm sure others will correct me where/if I'm wrong :)
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4