[TriLUG] Re: That there mailserver update

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 13 17:41:49 EST 2002

Funny you should ask!

The donated MB (well I really think it was the Processor) was bad.  I bought
a new MB and processor (400Mhz Celeron) for $75 on Friday and it all worked!
I spent the weekend configuring it and updating it.  I've updated all the
apps to the latest and greatest and only have the kernel left to do.  Once I
get that done, I'll put it in the co-location facility (INFLOW) and give out
accounts to those brave volunteers who have work yet to do.  I thought I
would get that done today, but work has me fairly slammed upgrading all my
external servers world-wide.

We need to decide on and install a version of IMAP (actually IMAP via SSL),
and I want Imp on it as well.

The donated drive only had 1.5Gb of space for mail, so I bought an HD for
$100 and installed it as well.  We now have 52Gb for mail and room for one
more IDE drive.

Another item I have to get done is installing quota's on the box.

The OS is RH 7.x updated to modern apps (and soon to a modern kernel).  It's
running IPchains as the firewall.

If anyone wants to chip in to cover some of the cost, I would appreciate it.
So far Jeremy has donated $30 and Andy is going to give an additional $40
(in addition to all the work and equipment that he has donated...).  Thanks
very much guys!

Jon