[TriLUG] Question on mouse problems with a kvm and X

Tom Francis tofranci at cisco.com
Thu Mar 14 09:21:57 EST 2002

All,

I've been going nuts trying to figure out why my mouse gets erratic
after switching between servers using a belkin kvm.  Since my windoze
boxes work fine when switching, I find it particularly aggravating...

Specifically, I'm running RH7.2 patched with RH's latest updates for kde
  , kernel (RH 2.4.9-31) and X.  I'm using a MS Intellimouse optical and
a MS natural keyboard connected to a belkin omniview e-series four port
kvm.

After switching from linux to w2k and back, >80% of the time the mouse
in linux will be useless, jumping all over the screen and clicking when
it feels like it.  Hitting CTRL-ALT-BS and restarting X seems to be the
only way to fix it.

Going back to windows never seems to be a problem, but any switch back
to linux continues to have the problem.

The clean install of RH7.2 on the same box did the same thing.

Short of going back to 3 keyboards and mice, I'm stuck!

Any suggestions on a fix or isolating the problem?

Thanks!

Tom