[TriLUG] CD-R problem and blanks for sale.

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 14:16:56 EST 2002

On Friday 15 March 2002 01:51 pm, you wrote:
> I haven't tried them on another system. I did create some audio cds for
> my wife and she hasn't complained, so I'll assume they were error free.
> One of my co-workers bought the cds, so I'm sure I'll find out if
> they're just total crap.
> I used some Memorex disks with my burner and they worked like a champ.
> I'm just chalking it up to random incompatability.

Suspend your chaulk.  I think there is determinism at work here. I've been
told by sales associates (snickering, like they would know anything) at
retail outlets that el-cheapo CD are good for music.  For data, I was told,
you better buy a name brand el-expensivo product (smirk; more expensive is
good for the store, not me).  In music and video, loss of bits and bytes is
accounted for and tolerated in the DSP in the D to A direction.  (Who's going
to notice Bruce Willis had a 10ms blemish on his forehead from flipped bits
in an action scene?) In data apps there is 0% margin of error.  I don't know
the ISO9660 protocol, but if there are checksums on datablocks, that could be
the reason you are getting coasters from your roaster - bad CRC on read
verify, or just plain old failed bit-by-bit failure on verify. Your
experience corresponds with the sales associates' recommendation.  How 'bout
that?  Personally, I chickened out and bought the more expensive CDs, so I
didn't test the hypothesis above.

Mike M