[TriLUG] SPARC question (OT, well, sort of :)

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 16 03:46:03 EST 2002

Due to James Manning's kindness (Thanks again James), I am now learning
about SPARC hardware.  This little IPX is amazing and I have managed to
get an old Mac <-> PC Modem cable coupled with a Null Modem adapter to
provide a serial console.  I am seriously considering adding another
16MB RAM (total of 32MB) and a 2nd SBus NIC and turning this cute little
guy into my new firewall router (Linux or OpenBSD, haven't decided, but
probably the latter :)  Maybe even get a 411 enclosure for an external
hard drive.

Well, the question is this:

The IPX seems to have a dead NVRAM chip (stores mac addr, host id, etc.)
and it seems a new one will cost about $12 online, but I was wondering
if anyone had an extra I could buy (probably doubtful :) or possibly
know of a local shop that might have one?  Mostly I would prefer to
avoid shipping and get it sooner.

Thanks,
Bill