[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 19 14:51:49 EST 2002

I've been running Beta2 for about a month now.
   Oooohhhh   Aaaaahhhhh!

It's wonderful.  The fonts all work.  Konquer is awesome and now does
everything a good browser should.  Kmail is the stuff of dreams... if you
happen to dream about Outlook Express.  The local admin controls (the
drake-family) are so easy, even my 5 yr-old son can reconfigure the desktop
on the fly (you would have to see it to believe it!)

On install it auto detects all your boot loads and preconfigures for dual
boot, if it finds other OS's lay-about on your HD - No jealousy.  It
defaults to EXT3 for filesystems like every good distro should today.

The install is even easier.

The only negative thing I can say about Mandrake is that they have dropped
some legacy hardware support from their distro's.  It's part of their
initiative to stay as lean as they can.  If you have old crap you want
supported, then you had better load the beta's when they come out and test
for it...

Jon