[TriLUG] Linux Firewalls for Home LANs... How Come?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Mar 19 20:55:22 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 20:43, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Okay, Folks...
>
> This isn't a troll, honest.
>
> Almost two years ago I picked up an SMC firewall/router/switch/print
> server for $90.  It's tiny.  It uses almost no power.  It takes up
> almost no space.  It's close to uncrackeable.   It serves DHCP, LPD, has
> a web interface, logs accesses, provides selective tunneling, and
> handles 255 IPs. You take it out of the box, plug it in, and it works
> for Linux and Windows systems.
>
> It's not like I didn't have some old hardware that I could have put to
> work doing the same job.  But is there a great reason not to plunk down
> $100 for an appliance for this purpose?
>
> I'm guessing the main reason would be for the learning experience.
> I get all of the learning experience I need keeping my desktop systems
> up to date and upgrading their devices.  More than I want sometimes.
>
> Sorry if this ruffles any feathers.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing
> out on something by going the appliance route here.
>

>                                        Scott

When I only had a modem connection to the Internet I used a linux
box, but ever since I've had a high-speed connection I've used
an appliance.  I think it's 6 of one and a half dozen of another.
If you can find an old computer, linux will be cheaper, but more
work than an appliance.  An appliance, however, will be much easier
to setup and have work (I was always "tweaking" my linux router
to get it to work right).  I guess it just comes down to personal
preference.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989