[TriLUG] Linux Firewalls for Home LANs... How Come?

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Tue Mar 19 22:32:05 EST 2002

The appliance route is very nice.  I still run a firewall on my server just
as extra precaution, but for the most part my Netgear router does a great
job of blocking the unwanted, and hiding me.  The biggest advantage the
Linux box has is you can do state-full packet inspection and other highend
firewall tricks that the NAT boxes just can't (yet).  But yes the boxes are
nice, lower power consumption than running a cheap PC, less heat, less space.

David