[TriLUG] Linux Firewalls for Home LANs... How Come?

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 05:59:20 EST 2002

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 08:43 pm, you wrote:

> Sorry if this ruffles any feathers.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing
> out on something by going the appliance route here.

It's a question I've asked myself.  I started with a Linux box, added
IPChains, add PPPoE, and got things working.  Then I wanted to VPN to
telcovendor.com corp. network.  User services was as clueless as you might
suspect on LInux.  THey did support several appliances, however.  So I got
the appliance and the Linux box is performing useful work as a test platform.

I think you assess the situation accurately.  The time I spent (short though
it was) with IPChains and PPPoE was valuable.  I appreciate the simplicity of
the appliance so I can spend my time elsewhere.

Now, for an organization, going the Linux/IPChains/VPN/firewall apps/etc.
route could offer a distinct advantage in flexibility and power.  It this a
correct assessment?

--
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.