[TriLUG] Rant: Please trim responses

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Thu Mar 21 14:45:04 EST 2002

> Consider HTML mail. We scream about it. Why?

OK, I've ignored most of this thread, but accidentaly opened this
message.  I don't complain about most stuff, since if it takes too much
of my time, I either ignore it, or get nasty and have the computer make
the problem go away.  Here's my html mail solution

in .procmailrc

# If a message is MIME and under 100k, remove the HTML version if neccesary.
:0 fw
* ^Content-type:.*boundary
* <102400
|strip_html.pl

# Any HTML-only mail gets bounced...
#:0
#* ^Content-type:[ ]*text/html
#spam

-------------------------

that way mail with html & text, I see the text version (even in
Evolution) and if I get sick of html mail again, I can block it.

You gen get strip_html here:
http://www.kluge.net/mailfiltering/strip_html.txt

lots of mail filtering tips there too
(http://www.kluge.net/mailfiltering).

If the excessive quoting bothers you tremendously, teach procmail to
make them go away, if you need help on that let me know.

HTH HAND

john