[TriLUG] Hollings introduces renamed SSSCA to Senate

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Mar 22 14:52:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 11:38, Paul Jones wrote:

> this is not true about helms. i have written him via email on several
> occasions and i have *always* received a reply (by paper mail) within two
> weeks or less.

Count yourself among the lucky few.  I have written to him on a number
of occasions about a number of issues over the last 5 years and have
had, at the most, a very brief email response like the one in this link
but never the promised snail mail response (my snail mail address and
phone numbers were provided in my letters):

http://members.tripod.com/~tonyh2/reply.htm

It isn't too hard to find other stories like mine, with the same
boilerplate response via email and no followup via snail mail.

I have seen him on local television stations stating his lack of
understanding of, as well as lack of respect for, electronic
communications such as email.  Sadly these sorts of things cannot be
indexed by Google.  Hardly surprising for a guy who goes out of his way
to exist only in meatspace.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the guy.  I just have the common
sense to recognize when a man of his advanced age does all that he can
to politely let us know that email isn't welcome.

Regardless of what I think of Sen. Edwards as a human being (or
reasonable facsimile thereof), the guy always gets a staffer to read and
answer my emails.  Often they just list Edwards' opinion without
commentary on my own.  Still it gives me some iota of hope that a
legislator is taking my opinion into consideration.

Some tips from the EFF: http://www.eff.org/congress.html

Of special interest here is http://www.eff.org/congress.html#e-mail

In addition to recommending more traditional (and admittedly antiquated)
forms of contact, one effective means is to arrange an in-person visit.
As you might guess, I'm not much of a shmoozer so I stop my letter
writing campaigns at the Fed Ex level.