[TriLUG] OT: hardware question & OpenBSD

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Mar 26 09:37:41 EST 2002

Mike, OpenBSD has increasingly been winning my respect and admiration.  I'm
using it in a production environment right now for a number of tasks and
it's been a real pleasure, especially on lower end machines.

Did you know there is a non-official project going on now to pair down
OpenBSD even further?  Well, actually, there are several.  But one of the
lists that I'm loosely following is removing some of the services like
named, httpd, etc. that come installed but not enabled by default on
OpenBSD.  There is also the emBSD project which I am not following.  While
the purpose of these stripped OpenBSD projects is to make it a leaner
firewall or VPN box, this also makes it more appropriate for a lightweight
desktop machine IMHO.

I do wish it had some sort of package management like RPM or apt but I don't
think the core developers would agree.