[TriLUG] Backing up remote systems

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 28 10:29:23 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> My only problem with "tar" is that it doesn't store the dates and
> ownerships. I use dump and restore keep the dates and ownerships

Huh?  Tar certainly keeps a record of dates, ownership, and
permissions.  Dates are stored and restored by default; you'd have to work
extra hard to make that not happen!  (You can even save the access time
with GNU tar and the option --atime-preserve.)

To restore with permissions and ownership, give tar the
"-p" (permissions) and "--same-owner" options.

Roy, remember to RTFM before assuming something doesn't do something --
there very well may be an option!

--Jeremy