[TriLUG] creating drivers for a dd install.

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Fri Mar 29 13:01:13 EST 2002

Ok, I know how to make a driver disk from the pre-packaged
bootnet.img passed along by RH. But the drivers I need are
not on there.

How do I create the driver I need and then package it such
that I can use it during the install?

I'm somewhat stumped. I may have to crack open a couple of
dead-tree format docs... as I can't find a good description
thru google or the rhl docs.

The rh72 bootnet.img contains an extension I'm not familiar
with '.cgz':
penguin1|ROOT:lfwelty-2# ls /mnt/floppy
modinfo  modules.cgz  modules.dep  pcitable  rhdd-6.1

I suspect this is where the modules are actually packaged.
But I haven't been able to decode the cgz (forgive me if
this is an idiot-user error - gzip, tar don't like it).
I tried building the required module and placing it (and
the other info) on the floppy as a '.o' - but the install
complains 'this does not appear to be a valid driver disk
for the installation'.

Blah. Help?

Thanks,

F.