secondary MX (was Re: [TriLUG] co-lo or at home?)

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Fri Mar 29 13:14:04 EST 2002

[Tanner Lovelace]
> Here is the quote from RFC1912:
>
>    A CNAME record is not allowed to coexist with any other data.  In
>    other words, if suzy.podunk.xx is an alias for sue.podunk.xx, you
>    can't also have an MX record for suzy.podunk.edu, or an A record, or
>    even a TXT record.

ok, so if there's a CNAME record for foo pointing to bar, then
there can't also be an MX record for foo.

My interpretation of the initial problem was "if MX record foo points
to bar, can bar be a CNAME"?  I had problems back in 94 or so when I
had an MX record point to another MX record, but MX records pointing
to CNAME's should be fine AFAICT

I guess I misunderstood the original problem then, right?
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4