[TriLUG] Resizing ext2 partitions

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 1 22:13:50 EST 2002

Folks,

I'd like to resize my ext2 partitions on my Debian box.  I'm thinking of
using Partition Magic 6 to do this, as I have a copy here.  Can I do
this without destroying the data on my partitions?  I'm concerned that I
might lose my data, or worse, hose my OS and have to rebuild it from
scratch (since it's the router and firewall for our network, as well as
print server and my wife's business's web and email server, she might
just kill me if I lose all of the data and/or require 2 days to rebuild
the machine).  If you all could let me know if you've been able to
resize your partitions successfully without destroying your data, I'd be
grateful.

Additionally, where might I find some information for someone who is
just investigating the potential advantages of reiser file systems or
ext3?  I'm not committed to converting my file systems, but I would like
to find out what that might entail, as well as what
advantages/disadvantages might be present in such a plan.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer