[TriLUG] Kernel question

Richard O. Hammer ROHammer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 2 16:48:14 EST 2002

"Vestal, Roy L." wrote:

> just built a new kernel for Gentoo. Here's the problem. I'm using a scsi
> drive in VMware. When it boots, it forces / to be read-only. I've got grub
> loaded but I'm not passing ro through the kernel line.  Any ideas?

Gosh, does that sound familiar.  It sounds like it is in the
same neck of the woods as my filesystem error on booting a new
installation of RH 7.2, although you are using different
components.

What I've learned, which you may already know, is that the
startup scripts mount the root filesystem first as read-only.
Then they do some chores, one of which is a fsck on the root
filesystem while it is still read-only.  Then they remount the
root filesystem as read-write.  So, to the extent that this
relates to your problem, I would say that of course it first
mounts root as read-only.

Rich Hammer