[TriLUG] Ximian Gnome help

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Apr 10 14:51:47 EDT 2002

Hey y'all

I'm getting ready to deploy a Linux terminal server which will be the first
step in eliminating Windows from the desktop at one of my client sites.
While I prefer KDE, there were some oddities that prevent me from
recommending its use right now (for example, zombie kde-init processes that
race).  So I'm going with Ximian Gnome and the sawfish desktop.

I'm trying to find some resources for sysadmins to figure out how to control
the shared resources, such as centrally administered icons.  This is one
instance when google isn't providing much help, and the desktop projects
themselves seem to cater their docs more to individual users than to
sysadmins on shared systems.

Any pointer URL's on this subject would be appreciated.

While we're not using LTSP here, we are using a stripped down Linux install
on the terminal simply to drive XFree86, which then queries the terminal
server.

--

Chris Hedemark
Yonder Way