Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Fri Apr 19 23:47:01 EDT 2002

[Tanner Lovelace]
> Actually, Centex won't let us install anything. :-(  They will, however,
> put conduit in.  I've already priced it for our office, but I may
> go ahead an price it for more rooms.  I was planning on using it to
> run my ham radio antenna feed lines, but we'll see...

same here - no allowed buyer-installed stuff - I've thought about just
heading over on a weekend (or after the framing is done - probably the
night of the electrical walk-through) and doing the work - if they show
up in the morning and it's done, I can't imagine they'd do much except
complain.

in any case - still getting pricing on them running the conduit - the
more I hear from John the more I'll prob. just let them do it :)

> I'm also considering wireless.  Anyone have any suggestions on that?
> Should I go for 802.11b and be limited to 11mbps, or should I pay
> the extra cost and go with 802.11a and get 50+mbs?

802.11b is what I'm using and I'm fine with it - my pipe outside the
house is only 2Mbps now and I can't imagine it heading significantly
over 11 any time soon.

> Thanks, however, for the note about 2 ones from attic to the basement.
> I had thought of one, but two make more sense.

w0rd.
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4