Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

Ken Mink ken.mink at porivo.com
Mon Apr 22 10:04:05 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 20:52, John Franklin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 12:14:44AM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 23:43, James Manning wrote:
> > > Ok, that's scary.  We have 20 days (til May 8th, when the 30 day mark
> > > hits from our contract date of April 8th) for picking out all our options
> > > (before the $300 change order fee kicks in).  6 months to build, and to
> > > be a geek I picked out 10/24 as our closing date (excellent power of 2,
> > > and in LotR I think it's the day that Frodo comes back to consciousness
> > > after being healed by Elrond)
> >
> > $300 change order fee!  Wow!.  We only have a $100 change order fee
> > for ours.  Just out of curiosity, where are you building and what
> > company is it?  We're having Centex build our home and are building
> > in the Grandale Place subdivision (of Grandale Rd near Southpoint).
>
> You may want to ask them if you can put in your own network wiring.

Our builder let me install my own CAT5. He said, and I quote,"I can't
tell you can do it. If you stay away from the electrical wiring, I won't
rip out anything that I find." This was from our Centrex field manager.
The sales puke was less then helpful when I asked him about it. Of
course our field manager was great. He made some really minor changes
without making us go through the sales office. He also put in a ramp for
my wife, she's disabled, at no cost.

<SNIP>.