[TriLUG] Best place for SPARC ISOs

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Apr 22 14:48:32 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 13:29, M. Mueller wrote:
> Any hints?  I want to try RH6.2 and Debian.  Is there anything local and
> fast?

I usually use:

ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu
ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu

I sometimes use ibiblio as it has a far greater array of software but
the transfer rates are quite a bit lower (possibly due to the popularity
of the archive)

I'm currently using Red Hat 6.2 on my Ultra 5.  I've got a smaller hard
drive to play with in that box (so we don't lose the nice installfest
configuration) to try SuSE and Debian.  Red Hat 6.2 is cake to install
on the SPARC platform.   Compiling third party apps has proven to be
challenging on this platform, though (and yes I know about running
"sparc32 bash" before building).  This becomes a big issue because
nobody really releases software for Red Hat Linux 6.2 running on an
UltraSPARC processor.  The SRPMS often won't build either.

I'm sure some of this is a matter of me learning the ropes of this
platform more thoroughly.

What kind of box are you trying to load?