[TriLUG] Another forwarding X11 question

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Apr 23 11:54:38 EDT 2002

Jeff,

In general you need to make sure each hop - including authentication hops
- has a path back to the actual display.

> Host (B) tries to connect via ssh -X host.A

When you say "tries," I assume you mean also "succeeds," right? Does ssh
-v -X tell you anything interesting?

> Host (B) tries to run an application that requires X -- ethereal, tried
> running as both root, and normal user and Host (B) gets this error:

To get to root on A, do you use su or ssh? If su, you're breaking the
chain - there's no channel for the X packets to get through.

If you seem to have a chain, try something other than ethereal, just to
make sure it's not the app -- maybe just xterm or rxvt.

I'd be happy to come over sometime in person and play around if you'd like
- call or email, I'm at 2-6876.

Best,
Andy

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu