[TriLUG] HDD Maintenance

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Sat Apr 27 22:28:12 EDT 2002

James LewisMoss [dres at lewismoss.org] wrote:
> hdparm as suggested by someone else is good to turn on the faster
> transfer modes of some ide drive/chip combinations.  Again be
> careful. :)  You can do bad things with this.

Yup...

Except on really buggy chipsets, "hdparm -c1 -d1 -k1 /dev/hda" is fairly
safe.  That turns on 32-bit I/O and DMA.  There are other options that let
you do scarier things with DMA66 and other stuff that can be dangerous.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com) http://ranger.befunk.com/
"What's the difference between Roy Rogers and Will Rogers?"