[TriLUG] Looking for Remote access to Unix boxes via Wintel

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Mon Apr 29 10:26:11 EDT 2002

We want Hummingbird, but we aren't going to pay that much... so anyone have
a suggestion for a freeware alternative?

For the uninitiated - Hummingbird is a Xserver for Wintel boxes (and by
"server" I mean you run it at the Wintel box and attach to the Unix box and
can get GUI access, similar to ssh but GUI).

Cygwin sort of does this, but is limited in that it gives you the whole
desktop rather than simply a GUI connection.  I'm sure Cygwin will be able
to do this in the future (since its docs tout this functionality), but it
ain't there yet.  Please correct me if I am wrong!

TIA

Jon