[TriLUG] Looking for Remote access to Unix boxes via Wintel

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 29 18:52:45 EDT 2002

We ended up using Cygwin after all (their setup instructions where wrong,
but one of our talented tech support guys figured it out -- while I was in
meetings all day).

For those it interests, here is the full skinny:
===

In order to connect to one of our new Linux or Solaris boxes and get both
command line control and GUI access, both a SSH client and a X-Windows
server will be needed. Free versions of both are available via the Cygwin
distribution.

INSTALL OF CYGWIN WITH SSH AND X-SERVER
=====================================
Install Cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe :
- choose "Run program from its current location" and Click Yes on next
screen
- Click Next
- Choose "Install From Internet"
- Choose location to install and store packages
- Choose "Direct Connection" and pick a site. I have had decent speed with
http://mirrors.rcn.net.
- Make sure it says "Install" in front of "XFree86" ( and NOT "default" ).
Click on round arrows once if necessary
- Expand the "Net" section and pick "openssh". openSSL should get
automatically checked also.
- Expand the "Doc" section and pick "man"
- Click Next, the install should begin. It may take some time.

ESTABLISHING SSH+X-WIN CONNECTION
================================
- Double-click on <Path to Cygwin>\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat
- Left click in the window that popped up to place shell window
- In that bash shell window, type "xhost <host you want to access>"
- Type "ssh -X -l <your account> <host>". If it is the first time you
connect to that host, first accept that host's key and then type your
password to get in.

- Set up the DISPLAY environment variable by typing: "DISPLAY=<your IP>:0"
and "export DISPLAY". If you have to change user during your SSH session,
make sure you set the DISPLAY variable to the appropriate value again.

TEST
====
To test that everything is working right, try to bring up the clock by
typing "/usr/openwin/bin/xclock &". A clock should show up.