[TriLUG] A true newbie

Lisa C. Boyd lisa at ptdesigns.biz
Tue Apr 30 17:08:37 EDT 2002

Thanks Jon and Jeremy for the quick feedback. I'm seriously considering
coming to the Installfest. I think that is a really neat idea :)

Jon wrote:
>X/KDE/PHP/MySQL/Apache are going to eat some space, so you might consider
>bumping up the space to 4Gb for root.

I think I can handle 4Gb.

>If 4Gb is too much, you can probably slim down the install with some
>judicious cuts, but I have a feeling that you'll be more at home inside a GUI
>than with working from the command line.

Hmmm...I feel pretty good at a command line too ;) I worked with some UNIX
so I'm not a total novice - at least I know enough to double check what I'm
typing in for fear of wiping out a system :)

More questions regarding what Jeremy wrote: I'm assuming that using either
the multiple partitions or the separate hard drive that you can only run
one OS at a time. That may not work for me if I need to test my web server
stuff from different browsers. I do have another computer I could wipe, but
it's not that fast. I'll have to check on this some more.

Thanks for the information. I definitely want to read up on some basics
before attending the Installfest. I hope not to embarass myself anyway ;)

Lisa Boyd