[TriLUG] Installfest SW

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 30 18:09:50 EDT 2002

John,

Potato will do alright on older hardware, however I'm not sure how well
it will do on older /laptop/ hardware.  Debian has never really been an
extremely laptop-friendly distro.  There are plenty of people who have
gotten it to install and run beautifully on laptops, but that was
obviously not the first concern of the developers in writing the code.
I'm a long time Debian user, and I've always felt that it was much more
geared towards being a server distro than a desktop or notebook distro.
I think that others will agree.  Potato has somewhat older software on
it as well, so some of that may not be as laptop-friendly as you might
like, either.

In all, I'd say try it, but be prepared to run into some problems.
Especially on a 386 laptop.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer