Cron (was Re: [TriLUG] Backups)

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Wed May 1 00:34:09 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 11:45 pm, you wrote:
> I have found that nothing really beats a good tar script in a crontab
> entry... 2 4 * * 1   mv ~backup/mail.tar.gz ~backup/mail.tar.gz.1; tar -czf
> ~backup/mail.tar.gz ~jonc/mail

Thanks for the nudge.

In man cron, man crontab, and man 5 crontab, I cannot find the explanation of
the "root run-part <file path>" construct. Any hints on where to find it.
(Probably in the man pages, but I'm too tired to see it.) Is this a generally
available feature to all cron users, or is it restricted to the system
crontab (/etc/crontab)?

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.