[TriLUG] A true newbie

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed May 1 10:29:51 EDT 2002

Avui, Dimecres 01 Maig 2002 09:01, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
aquest e-mail

> I use all 3, Win4Lin, VMWare, and Wine. They all work great for certain
> situations. For example, I'm using Outlook 2000 via Crossover Office (a
> commercial Wine implementation) to send this email. You can have linux and
> live in a Windoze world!!!

I have used all of them as well. My conclusions:

- VmWare: when you need to use a full Windows or specifically use NT/2000...
or applications not supported by Win4Lin or big amounts of RAM (more than
128MB). Good for testing: in one machine, you can use Linux +
VmWare-Windows98 *and* VmWare-WindowsNT *and* VmWare-Windows2000 *and* ... Of
course, if you have them all running at the same time, you will need a
truckload of RAM and all the CPU power that you can find. It is very
resource-hungry; not for low-end machines. You need a copy of Windows to run
it. You can also get VmWare for Windows and there, install other Windows
versions and/or Linux.

- Win4Lin: When you need to use a full Windows or an application supported by
Win4Lin. Remember that, in the last version, Win4Lin can only run Windows
95/98/Me. Win4Lin also only supports a maximum of 128 MB of RAM for its
"emulated-Windows".  It also requires using a propietary kernel module. It
works well on not-that-new computers (like ~400 MHz). You also need a copy of
Windows to run it.

- WINE: when you need to run a few programs, not the whole Windows thing.
Codeweavers has the Office-plugin (for Office + Outlook +IExplorer, AFAIK)
and the CrossOver-plugin (for QuickTinme and WindowsMediaPlayer). There's
also WineX from Transgaming, specialy oriented for gamers and applications
that rely on DirectX. You want a decent computer to run Wine. IT is not
mandatory to have a copy of Windows to run it. On the Linux section of my
website, you'll find more about Wine.

I use Wine, because I only need a game and the QuickTime player.

Salut,
Sinner
--
RedHat QA Test Engineer  --  Running RedHat 7.3beta on i386smp
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/