[TriLUG] lilo question

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed May 1 13:06:25 EDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Greg Brown wrote:

> Yesterday I split my laptop into two partitions: 1 linux, 1 win2k.  I loaded
> RH 71. first, then installed Win2k.  Now the machine boots straigth into
> windows (no lilo).  Is there an easy way to get Lilo working post-install or
> should I bit the bullet and totally re-install RH 7.1?

* Boot into Linux with the rescue disk that you made in the
installation.[1]

* Make sure your lilo configuration (/etc/lilo.conf) is correct (has an
"image" section for your Linux partition, and an "other" section for
win2K).

* Become root, and run "lilo -v".

That's it!

--Jeremy

[1] You did make a rescue disk, right?  These kinds of things are the
reason it implores you to make one!
If you don't have a rescue disk, use the CD in rescue mode.